CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How to manually poll for events

   Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1992 11:29-0400
   From: Scott McKay <SWM@stony-brook.scrc.symbolics.com>

       Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1992 18:12 EDT
       From: Greg Siegle <siegle@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu>

       Hi there,
	  I'd like to be able to click on a presentation which calls a
       function which contains a potentially infinite loop, and still be able
       to click on other presentations on the screen and have them respond
       while that function is looping. It seems that as soon as I click on
       one presentation, the other presentations on the screen aren't
       clickable until the function called by my first click is finished
       executing. Do I need to make my own run-frame-top-level function (I'm
       using the default right now)?
	  If need by, I can make the potentially infinite loop manually check
       for click events, but I'm not sure how to do that either...

   The presentation type system in CLIM is essentially a synchronous model
   of I/O.  This is intentional.

   You can use READ-GESTURE with :PEEK-P T to "look ahead" for pending
   events, and use the documented functions in the presentation type system
   to handle mouse click events.

Don't forget to pass :timeout 0 to read-gesture so that it doesn't
hang. The other utility you need to use in order to get sensitivity
while you're peeking ahead is WITH-INPUT-CONTEXT.  So the basic
structure of your peek-ahead function is [sorry if I have any syntax
wrong, I don't have a CLIM in front of me]:

(defun frame-peek-ahead (program-frame &key (stream *standard-input*))
  (when (with-input-context ('command)
           (read-gesture :stream stream :peek-p t :timeout 0))
    (execute-frame-command program-frame (read-frame-command program-frame))))

Main Index | Thread Index