CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Memory problems with Lucid&CLIM1.0Beta

Dear CLIM'bers (of the Buggy Mountains),

running CLIM 1.0 Beta on Lucid, I have severe memory problems. When I
start and exit the (rather big) application 4 or 5 times and running it
again, CLIM switches off the garbage collection (I can't determine
exactly the moment this happens) and soon Lucid runs out of memory.  I
have to leave Lisp (or it kills itself -- no chance to 'save' anything on
the disk) and restart all over again. This does *not* happen when the
application runs without the CLIM interface.

Has anyone similiar problems? Has anybody an idea to prevent CLIM from
switching off gc? Or are there other reasons for this strange behaviour?
What are the reasons for an application to switch off gc? If its a Lucid-
specific problem and CLIM isn't involved, please excuse me using this
mailing list.

Any help appreciated,

Oli
PS: Here are some error messages

;;; GC: 232100 words [928400 bytes] of dynamic storage in use.
;;; 226650 words [906600 bytes] of free storage available before a GC.
;;; 685400 words [2741600 bytes] of free storage available if GC is disabled.
;;; GC required to reorganize memory for GC disabling
;;; GC: 232100 words [928400 bytes] of dynamic storage in use.
;;; 226650 words [906600 bytes] of free storage available before a GC.
;;; 685400 words [2741600 bytes] of free storage available if GC is disabled.
>>Error: GC and EGC disabled: not enough storage after GC.
         CONSers are now using the
         storage normally reserved for copying currently allocated
	 dynamic storage.

EPHEMERAL-GC:
   Optional arg 0 (FORCE-TO-DYNAMIC): NIL
   Optional arg 1 (DISABLING-EGC): NIL
:C  0: Continue the current computation with GC and EGC disabled.
       The next GC might fail.
:A  1: Return to CLIM TFS Interface command level
    2: CLIM TFS Interface top level
    3: Exit CLIM TFS Interface
    4: Abort to Lisp Top Level

-> 0
Continue the current computation with GC and EGC disabled.
The next GC might fail.

<<<Only by moving the pointer over menu commands and
    highlighting these, after some messages like above
    (and continuing), Lisp panicks:>>>

;;; Ran Out of Memory while GC Disabled

<Lisp exits>