CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Pres Qs.

Hi!

<Env:  CLIM version 27 on SMBX x400, Genera 8.1>

I am creating about 1600 rectangular presentation items
(all
uniform) on the screen to represent certain objects.
The user
may request changing the size of the objects (all
objects
simulataneously), in which case I have to erase the
previous
presentations (window-clear) redraw the new
presentations.
WHICH TAKES A WHILE. Furthermore, this is annoying
especially
so because there is other non-presentation graphics in
the
window (which is easy to draw but no-good
aesthetically).

Q1: Is there an easy way to change the shape of a
presentation?
CLIM manual says not to mess with size/shape of
presentations.

These presentations are also "flipped" (like in a bitmap
editor) and when refreshing the window, it replays all
the
previous output.  I tried not recording, (using
with-output-recording-options with :record-p nil) and
that had
its problems when scrolling the window and such (I don't
remeber exactly since I had tried this a while ago but I
can
reproduce and explain it if its necessary).

Q2: Is there a way to not replay output.

I guess the solution I am looking for is to draw these
presentations in the background (in a process maybe) and
write
to an output record. Then replay the output record on my
window. This way, I have the output record I want.  But
it
still takes a long time to draw these presentations.
Ideally,
I should just change the size of each and be done with
it.
(That way, I also retain those that are selected.)

Finally, the same program goes into a phase where the
presentations are not mouse sensitive.  Currently they
are
drawn inside a with output as presentation and used via
presentation to command traslator.

Q3: Is there a way to remove (and add) a translator at
run
time (is this recommended by CLIM?).

I am writing portable code and dont want to mess with
low
level stuff.  If something is inthe"standard" (or not
recommended) than I want to stay away from it for fear
it wont
be supported on all CLIMs.  Should I be so (overly)
cautious?

Thanx in advance.  Please respond directly to my email
address. I'll summarize results, especially the
innovative
one.

-- Rahul Bhatt
rbhatt@sc9.intel.com