CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

locks

   Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1992 13:00-0400
   From: Scott McKay <SWM@stony-brook.scrc.symbolics.com>

       Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1992 12:07 EDT
       From: abbott@aero.org

       | Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1992 12:01-0400
       | From: Scott McKay <SWM@stony-brook.scrc.symbolics.com>
       |
       |     Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1992 10:34 EDT
       |     From: abbott@aero.org
       |
       |     | ...
       |     | I saw the messages about using locks when interacting with the screen.  Could
       |     | someone provide a short snippet of code showing how one would use those
       |     | unexported clim calls initial-lock-values and with-lockf?
       |
       | This doesn't do you any good for CLIM 1.0/1.1, but you should use
       | CLIM-SYS:MAKE-LOCK and CLIM-SYS:WITH-LOCK-HELD in CLIM 2.0, since
       | they are portable across all platforms that implement CLIM.

       1) Since it protects the processes from accessing the screen
       simultaneously, why doesn't it do me any good?

       2) I'm using CLIM 1.1, and I still don't know what calls to use.  I
       can't find any documentation in the CLIM 1.0 manual, the only one I
       have.  What are they?

You could try using the undocumented, unsupport CLIM internal
functions clim-utils::make-lock and clim-utils::with-lock-held.  I'm
not even sure that these are in all the vendors' versions of CLIM, but
you can try.  As usual, there are many risks in using unsupported
code, not the least of which is that it can be removed without warning
in future releases.  However, in this case Scott has already pointed
out that these functions will be documented and supported (albeit in
another package) in CLIM 2.

0,,