CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

format directives

    Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1992 17:47 EDT
    From: Bill York <york%oakland-hills@lucid.com>

       Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1992 12:21-0700
       From: Mabry Tyson <TYSON@ai.sri.com>

       As far as portability is concerned, all that should be hidden in
       CLIM:FORMAT.  (I'm guessing that all implementations of CLIM require
       you to use CLIM:FORMAT since the first arg might not be a CL:STREAM.)

    Actually, the ultimate goal is for there to be no CLIM:FORMAT.  This
    can happen once all the Lisps follow the same CLOS-based stream
    prototocl, and all the FORMATs are purified to use only the standard
    stream protocol to do their output.  This may not ever happen, but its
    a good theory, and I'm loath to invent a new reason to keep
    CLIM:FORMAT around.

I second that.  The idea of reimplementing FORMAT for CLIM is really
pretty loathesome.

0,,