CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fat Strings

        Reply to:   RE>Fat Strings

    Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1992 09:29 EDT
    From: "John C. Mallery" <jcma@reagan.ai.mit.edu>

    I take it that CLIM does not and will not support fat strings, style
bits on
    characters in strings.  That means, writing styled characters to a
string will
    either generate an error or lose the style bits.

Since dpANS Common Lisp doesn't say anything about the semantics of "fat
strings", CLIM's hands are tied.  CLIM currently just generates an
error, although it might be reasonable for Genera CLIM to either strip
out the style bits or do something useful with them if people think that
would be a useful "favor" that does not sacrifice portability.

problem.  Our application was structured so that objects generated various
text items.    The objects know what sort of formating the text should have.
 The text was then sent to a generic function for printing.   Now it seems
that we have to duplicate the generic functions capabilities in every method
which needs to print text if we want to continue to use text styles.  Is
there any way around this?  Thanks.

0,,

Main Index | Thread Index