CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A few more cents

    Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1992 12:23 EDT
    From: Richard Weyhrauch <rww@ibuki.com>

    IBUKI as you all know has explicitly chosen NOT to provide CLIM to its
    customers.  We believe that the Lisp vendors have NO business trying to
    duplicate all the 100s of man years that the larger community has put
    into UIs.  In our view not even a consortium of Lisp vendors can afford
    to duplicate this effort.  What we as vendors should be doing is to make
    it easier for our users to take advantage of the other commercial UIs.

While I agree with Richard on every other point in his message, I
would like to point out that one of the original goals of CLIM (which
us only now being realized in CLIM 2.0, after the too-long lifespan of
CLIM 1.0 and 1.1) is to allow users simpler access to a lot of the
man-years provided by the larger workstation computing community.
That's why CLIM 2.0 directly uses Motif, OpenLook, and what have you
to implement the appearance of the user interface.  For many things,
CLIM 2.0 does this without sacrificing portability.

CLIM 2.0 doesn't duplicate the efforts of others, it tries to leverage
off of it.

0,,