CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: labels for panes

    Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1992 18:06 EDT
    From: Clinton Hyde <chyde@chesapeake.ads.com>

    why not have done something (like I *think* I remember lispms doing)
    like this:

    reserve space at either top or bottom of the pane which is part of the
    margin region and put the label in that space? that way the interior
    clipping region of the pane is cleanly separated from the label.
    scroll-bars can go in the margins, as can things like choice-boxes,
    etc, and you can be certain that they won't be affected by any drawing
    to the window (except calls to low-level functions which don't know
    about the margins as clipping regions).

The so-called "Silica" layer (also known as "Pyrex" in CLIM 2.0) of CLIM
formalizes and generalizes this notion in the sheet abstraction.  Things
like borders, margins, labels, and scroll bars are all instances of
sheets.  However, if they were as implemented as simply as you suggest,
the host window system would not be able to get into the act.  So the
scheme CLIM 2.0 uses is more complex: there are "abstract panes" that
represent the users intention, which are mapped by a "frame manager"
into real gadget panes.  These gadget panes might be implemented by the
host's window toolkit (Motif and OpenLook do this), or by home-grown
gadgets (Genera and raw CLX do this).

0,,