CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Command Table Menu Items

|     I want to make a suggestion for 2.0:
|     The default command menu displayer should organize
|     command menu items column-wise instead of row-wise.
|     Right now (1.1) it's this way:
|     A  B  C
|     D  E  F
|     G  H  I
|
|     I think it's much more ergonomical to have it that way:
|     A  D  G
|     B  E  H
|     C  F  I

| I changed FORMATTING-ITEM-LIST and FORMAT-ITEMS to take a new :ROW-WISE
| keyword.  It defaults to T, which gives the current behavior.  If you
| supply :ROW-WISE NIL, it will arrange the item list column-wise instead.

| Opinion poll: who thinks that the default behavior for :ROW-WISE should
| be NIL instead of T?  Here are the various functions for which it applies:

Don't care about the defaults.

But, it seems to me that what you *really* want is to define what menu
items appear in what columns in the menu.  I have a hack where you
specify a list columns and the menu items that are to appear in that
column.  This gives you better control over how the menu items are
formatted.  For example, if you specify a layout of menu items as:

 (("Menu 1" "Menu 2") ("Menu 3" "Menu 4"))

then, the menu pane appears as:

Menu 1  Menu 3
Menu 2  Menu 4

This also makes the layout independent of the position of a menu item
in the command table.

ba

Brian H. Anderson
Boeing Commercial Airplane