CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

((sequence symbol) :separator #\space)

Hi,

I am using clim 2 via allegro 2.0.beta2.  I am sending this bug
report to clim@bbn.com because I imagine all the vendors could have
the same problem.

There is a bug in the presentation type ((sequence symbol) :separator #\space).
It works with one space between tokens and no trailing spaces:

(accept-from-string '((sequence symbol) :separator #\space) "one two three")
Returns:
(ONE TWO THREE)
((SEQUENCE SYMBOL) :SEPARATOR #\space)
13

But if you include more than one space between tokens, or any trailing
spaces, you get errors.  All of the following generate errors for me.

(accept-from-string '((sequence symbol) :separator #\space) "one  two three")
(accept-from-string '((sequence symbol) :separator #\space) "one two  three")
(accept-from-string '((sequence symbol) :separator #\space) " one two three")
(accept-from-string '((sequence symbol) :separator #\space) "one two three ")

This is quite different from the default behavior of SEQUENCE (using
commas as delimiters) which is appropriately tolerant of extra whitespace.

I imagine what is happening is that the separator character is
being used as an activation gesture.  This is OK as long as
there is an extra call within the SEQUENCE parser to move past
the whitespace.  I guess you could describe this as an unanticipated
interaction here between the property of being a whitespace character
and the property of being an activation gesture.

In any case, trailing spaces should not matter.

jeff morrill
jmorrill@bbn.com