CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: reducing time overhead of text display (in 1.1)

    Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1993 14:25 EST
    From: lgm@iexist.att.com

       Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1993 13:27 -0500
       From: Scott McKay <SWM@stony-brook.scrc.symbolics.com>

       Believe it or not, CLIM has a compile-time conditional that allows the
       CLIM implementor to choose between three types of coordinates: T,
       SINGLE-FLOAT, and FIXNUM.  Right now, CLIM uses T.  T and SINGLE-FLOAT
       work equally well in Genera, but CER and I verified that using
       SINGLE-FLOAT is a dog under Allero (and probably Lucid, too) because it
       guarantees that you have to cons, whereas when CLIM uses T, CLIM often
       manages to use fixnums.  CLIM 1.1 always used FIXNUM, but I never quite
       finished debugging the FIXNUM case in CLIM 2.0.

    Some implementations have a SHORT-FLOAT that doesn't cons.  Perhaps
    CLIM could use SHORT-FLOAT internally whenever it's available.

The range of SHORT-FLOAT is allowed to be too small for some things.

	    Lawrence G. Mayka
	    AT&T Bell Laboratories
	    lgm@iexist.att.com

    Standard disclaimer.