CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: text editor platforms

has been tested using Lucid and CLIM 1.1 and Allegro using Clim 2.0.  It is
also designed to be used by MCL, but characters such as #\control-\x need
to be converted to #\^x.
      By taking a quick peek at Hallvard's manual, I found that Hallvard
has implemented the same features that I have plus a few more.  The following
is a list of features that appear in Hallvard's code, but NOT mine:

      Tabulation - lining up columns as if you were in EMACS's lisp environment
      Hyperlinks - for moving from one location in the editor to another
      Eval       - sends an expression to the lisp listener to be evaled
      Annotations - regions of the text can be annotated.  This is used
                    in conjunction with hyperlinks to make Hallvard's editor
                    capable of doing hypertext
      Word Wrap  - Hallvard's editor can wrap the text if it passes an
                   imaginary right border.  My editor will scroll the
                   window to the right so that the right border moves to
                   the center of the screen.

      The main difference between Hallvard's code and mine is that his
has to be run in its own application frame while mine can be run in any
window.  So, the trade off is whether you need to edit some text in an
existing window (i.e. MacDraw) or if you don't mind throwing up another
window to do the editing.

      Erik Eilerts
      University of Texas at Austin
      eilerts@cs.utexas.edu