CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Managing large bitmaps

[Allegro CL 4.2f, CLIM 2.0f]

I used the functions make-pattern-from-bitmap-file and
draw-pattern* to import a bitmap (xbm-format) and to
display it. Everything works fine.
However, for large bitmaps (1000x1000), even on a Sparc10,
the whole procedure is too slow for interactive applications.
I wonder if there is a more low-level approach since I do not
need the possibility to map the contents of the xbm-file
to, e.g., +transparent-ink+ and friends.
Thus, make-pattern does not seem to be the right layer of
abstraction in this case. I tried the X program
xv to display and manipulate xbm-files. Though transferring a bitmap
to an X server is somewhat time-consuming, for most
of the CLIM overhead, make-pattern or draw-pattern* seems to be the culprit.
Any comments appreciated...

Thanks,

Ralf

Main Index | Thread Index