CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: menu-bar

   Date: Fri, 06 May 1994 09:37:36 -0400
   From: Jeff Morrill <jmorrill@BBN.COM>

   I also believe that vendor-supplied extensions are a good thing.
   I would only ask that the "clim" package be sacrosanct, much like
   the ANSI "common-lisp" package.  It is good hygiene to put new
   symbols in other packages, "clim-extensions" for example.
   The keyword :menu-bar wouldn't apply, of course, but the class
   name MENU-BAR would.

I agree with the need to distinguish portable capabilities from
extensions.  The only question is whether CLIM has matured
sufficiently to make that distinction clearly.  What we would need is
a single, up-to-date document to which the major vendors have agreed
to conform.  My understanding is that the CLIM 2.0 spec was meant to
be that document, but I don't think it's been kept up to date.

        Lawrence G. Mayka
        AT&T Bell Laboratories
        lgm@ieain.att.com

Standard disclaimer.