Re: Maxima problem

Harvey Stein too has been bitten by the following problem:

> ... run maxima under clisp.  I got:
> *** - EVAL: undefined function SYSTEM::MAKE-WINDOW
> Maxima 4.153 Sun Aug 19 12:02:38 CDT 1990 (with enhancements by W. Schelter).
> *** - symbol *WINDOW* has no value

Please get and install /pub/lisp/clisp/packages/maxima.clisp.patch1 from
ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de. The function MAKE-WINDOW sits in
#<PACKAGE SCREEN> since the CLISP version of May 1993.

He asks whether CLISP requires a certain Linux kernel version:

> However, when I checked the
> README file, it said that the newest version of CLISP requires a Linux
> kernel of at least .99pl11.  I'm running .99pl10.  Do I really need to
> upgrade the kernel before I can run this binary?  Can I compile a
> working version of CLISP  under .99pl10?

CLISP can be compiled on any Linux version newer than 0.95.
The binary distribution for Linux is linked against libc-4.4.1 which requires
Linux kernel 0.99.11 or newer.

If you don't want to upgrade your Linux, you will have to recompile CLISP
from source. Just start it, then sit and wait.

                    Bruno Haible
                    haible@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de