trouble porting clisp

I'm trying to bring up clisp-1993-11-08 on m68k NEXSTEP 3.1.

I've configured it so it compiles with few complaints.  I can
compile clisp with the `strict bsd' and posix configurations.  To compile
several files, it was necessary to use SAFETY=3 (with -g, the compiler
(gcc 2.2.2) generated local symbols that weren't defined, which caused the
assembler to fail).  Also, for some reason, NeXT's gcc wouldn't grok
the register ... __asm__("register_name") directives in eval.d...

I've tried the various memory-management options, but none work `out
of the box'.  NeXT doesn't document the mmap functions, and several
of the relevant constants aren't defined.  So the configuration that
I've started working with is the SPVW_MIXED_BLOCKS -- neither the
HAVE_MMAP_ANON or HAVE_MMAP_DEVZERO are defined.

Here is what happens when lisp.run is invoked initially:

*** - The value of *TERMINAL-IO* was not a stream: #<UNBOUND>. It has been changed to #<TERMINAL-STREAM>.
*** - The value of *DEBUG-IO* was not a stream: #<UNBOUND>. It has been changed to #<SYNONYM-STREAM *TERMINAL-IO*>.
*** - No more room for LISP objects
*** - No more room for LISP objects
*** - No more room for LISP objects
*** - No more room for LISP objects
*** - No more room for LISP objects
*** - No more room for LISP objects
*** - No more room for LISP objects
*** - No more room for LISP objects
*** - No more room for LISP objects: RESET
*** - The value of *STANDARD-OUTPUT* was not a stream: #<UNBOUND>. It has been changed to #<SYNONYM-STREAM *TERMINAL-IO*>.
*** - No more room for LISP objects: RESET
*** - The value of *STANDARD-INPUT* was not a stream: #<UNBOUND>. It has been changed to #<SYNONYM-STREAM *TERMINAL-IO*>.
*** - No more room for LISP objects: RESET

The garbage collection that triggers the `no room' messages is
triggered by an attempt to display the `breakprompt_string', which
apparently isn't initialized yet (the length field in the sstring structure
is 537564620, and the characters arent `Break>'. ).

I'm guessing there is a obvious oversight I'm making that explains this
behavior.  (BTW, the NeXT installation note isn't valid for 3.0).

Any suggestions?