^M's in source files

  From: Timothy Redmond <redmond@tis.com>
  I have found another related problem in that if you share lisp files
  created and used for CLISP under OS2 (and probably DOS) then the ^M's
  that DOS/OS2 editors place in the files causes trouble at the UNIX
  sites.
This seems not to be the fault of any editor - just different end-of-line
conventions by unix and DOS.  (In fact, I've used my editor to FIX that
problem.)
  I fix this by putting the line
      (set-syntax-from-char (code-char 13) #\Space)
  in the appropriate source file so that the UNIX machine does not get
  confused by the ^M's.
It turns out this is not a very good solution.  In particular, if your
source file contains any ; comments, the rest of the file then looks
like a comment (since it all appears to be part of the same line).
(I thought those files compiled mighty fast!)