Re: Telling compiler to shutup about warnings?

Raymond Toy <toy@rtp.ericsson.se> asks:

> I'm compiling a function
> which has some unused variables in it, and I don't want the warnings to
> be displayed.

There are two commonly used strategies to overcome this problem:

- Evaluate the variables at least once, like this:
  (LAMBDA (ARG1 ARG2 &REST ARGS) ARG1 ARG2 ARGS (PROGN ,@function-body))
  Every compiler will eliminate the evaluations of the variables at these
  positions. Stepping through this kind of code will become annoying,
  however.

- Some compilers have appropriate declarations. You can thus write
  (LAMBDA (ARG1 ARG2 &REST ARGS)
    #+CLISP (DECLARE (SYSTEM::IGNORABLE ARG1 ARG2 ARGS))
    ,@function-body
  )

In CLISP, unused variable warnings are also suppressed for GENSYM generated
variables. (This is a hack predating the IGNORABLE declaration.)

> How can I tell the compiler to be quiet?

Bind *COMPILE-WARNINGS* to NIL, or give COMPILE-FILE the arguments
:WARNINGS NIL.

                    Bruno Haible
                    haible@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de

!! To unsubscribe from the clisp-list mailing list, send mail to     !!
!!           listserv@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de              !!
!! including the two words "unsubscribe clisp-list" as message body. !!