Compilation problem

I am running Linux at home on my PC and I am rather new to Linux and the
Unix world. I have recently downloaded GNU Common Lisp and tried to
compile it but I got the error message below. Since there is a line that
say make of GCL completed, I presume that the Lisp itself is complete and
my test run confirm that. But then the make did not stop at that point and
went on to produce the error message. I believe what I have included here
are the significant lines of the error message but I might be wrong.
Please email me if additional information is require. If any one can make
out what is causing this, I would appreciate your help. TIA

=============Error message below=================================
Make of GCL 2.1 completed.
 [...]
make gcltkaux "CC=`echo gcc -pipe -fwritable-strings  -DVOL=volatile -I/usr/local/gcl-2.1/o -fsigned-char | sed -e 's: -static : :g' -e 's:-Bstatic : :g`"
/bin/sh: unexpected EOF while looking for `''
/bin/sh: command substitution: line 2: syntax error
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/gcl-2.1/gcl-tk'
guis.o tkAppInit.o tkMain.o -o gcltkaux -L/usr/X11/lib -lX11 -L/usr/lib -ltcl  -L/usr/lib -ltk -lm  ../o/gcllib.a
make[2]: execvp: guis.o: Permission denied
make[2]: *** [gcltkaux] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gcl-2.1/gcl-tk'
make[1]: *** [gcltkaux1] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gcl-2.1/gcl-tk'
make: *** [all] Error 2
----
Han.
----
Ng, Wey-Han                         Tel   : +(419)3523027
853 Napoleon Rd. Apt #7             email : weyhan@falcon.bgsu.edu
Bowling Green 43402 OH                      weyhan@bgsuvax.bgsu.edu
USA