Re: fence matching with editor

EK> If not, is there a shareware editor which does this and if so,
EK> where can I get it?

Marcus> I like GNU Emacs 19.29 -- prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu/emacs-19.29.tar.gz
Marcus> See http://sayre.sysc.pdx.edu:8001/clisp_and_emacs/clisp_and_emacs.html
Marcus> for configuration information.  GNU Emacs even runs on MS-DOS.
Marcus>
Marcus> About any popular editor will do parens matching.

And if you run Unix + X11 and have a speedy machine with at least 16 MB RAM,
I can recommend XEmacs (also known as Lucid Emacs) together with the
following addition to the ~/.emacs file (trick from Joerg Hoehle):

(let ((hook (function (lambda ()
                        (setq mode-motion-hook 'mode-motion-highlight-sexp)))))
  (add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook hook t)
  (add-hook 'lisp-interaction-mode-hook hook t)
  (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook hook t)
  (add-hook 'inferior-lisp-mode-hook hook t)
  (add-hook 'talk-mode-hook hook t)
)

When you move the mouse cursor on an opening parenthesis, it highlights
the entire Lisp expression. Very nice for checking badly indented Lisp code.
(The drawback is that one gets lazy about indentation and parenthesizing
discipline.)

Bruno Haible                        email: <haible@ilog.fr>
Software Engineer                   phone: +33-1-49083585