clisp/linux installation ?

Dear CLISP gurus,

3 quick questions, related to CLISP installation:

1) i downloaded the latest version from the Karlsruhe site to my Linux
machine, and typed "make" at the shell prompt,
as instructed in the README.
the compilation fails with the following messages:

roman> make
cc  base/lisp.a base/libreadline.a base/libintl.a base/libstdwin.a
base/libavcall.a base/libvacall.a base/libtrampoline.a -ltermcap
-L/usr/X11/lib -lX11 -o base/lisp.run
/usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x61): undefined reference to `main'
make: *** [base/lisp.run] Error 1
roman> pwd
/u/clisp-1996-04-17
roman>

please let me know what i am doing wrong.

2) i downloaded the file from binaries/linux-aout.
should i have perhaps been using linux-elf ?
actually i don't know what -elf is; does it have anything to do with
emacs ?  because if so, i am definitely interested, since i'll be
running lisp from an emacs buffer.

3) i intend to port my Garnet code to CLISP.
can i use the generic distribution of Garnet from CMU or
must i be using the Garnet provided at your Karlsruhe site ?

thank you very much for your help, and i look forward to
using CLISP.

Roman Yangarber
      PROTEUS Project
Computer Science Department