Re: setq with memory

You write:

> But it is important that a "form" cannot be played back in this way,
> absent its environment.  Consider:

Well, that's not quite true.  In a null lexical environment this will
work just fine, and I very much doubt that a Lisp beginner is going
to be throwing macrolets around.  You're right that your way is better
programming style (which is why my note was heavy with disclaimers)
but from a pedagogical point of view I thought it would be better not
to try to explain closures to a Lisp beginner in a short note.

FWIW,
E.