CLISP on Debian

I've downloaded clisp from ftp.stat.ucla.edu for Linux ELF.  I'm using
the 1.1 Debian Linux distribution.  When I run make according the
instructions in the README, ld announces

 ld: cannot open -ltermcap: no such file or directory

Marcus Daniels suggested the following:

    Marcus> ftp.debian.org
    Marcus> /pub/debian/unstable/binary-i386/misc/termcap-compat_1.0.0-2.deb

    Marcus> If you still get a complaint about -lX11, try deleting it,
    Marcus> if that doesn't work, and you have X11R6 installed, add
    Marcus> -L/usr/X11R6/lib before -lX11 wherever it occurs in the
    Marcus> makefile.  Otherwise, you'd need to rebuild from source.

I'm submitting my followup to the list as well as to Marcus.

I obtained termcap-compat, installed it, and ran make to no avail.  LD
announces the same error as before.  termcap-compat added
/lib/libtermcap.so.2 to my system, but ld is seeking libtermcap.a,
right?  My understanding of Unix/Linux C and libraries etc. and their
dependancies is nil.  Is there something simple I need to do?

Thanks.