Compiler bug?

Hi,

I've just grabbed the most recent version of CLISP from
http://sayre.sysc.pdx.edu:8001/clisp/.
A strange error occurs wehen I try to compile a file containig the
following three lines:

(defconstant *default* 'x)
(defstruct A (slot *default*))
(defstruct (B (:include A)))

A protocol of my session follows:

  i i i i i i i       ooooo    o        ooooooo   ooooo   ooooo
  I I I I I I I      8     8   8           8     8     o  8    8
  I I I I I I I      8         8           8     8        8    8
  I I I I I I I      8         8           8      ooooo   8oooo
  I  \ `+' /  I      8         8           8           8  8
   \  `-+-'  /       8     o   8           8     o     8  8
    `-__|__-'         ooooo    8oooooo  ooo8ooo   ooooo   8

  ------+------     Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Michael Stoll 1992, 1993
                    Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Marcus Daniels 1994-1996

> (lisp-implementation-version)
"1996-08-29 (August 1996)"
> (lisp:shell "uname -a")
Linux orion 2.0.24 #2 Sat Nov 2 02:08:40 MET 1996 i686
0
> (compile-file "test.lsp")

Compiling file /src/lisp/PLOPP/test.lsp ...
*** - PRINT: Despite of *PRINT-READABLY*, #<CLOSURE DEFAULT-SLOT NIL
*DEFAULT*>
cannot be printed readably.
1. Break>

---------

If I change the second line from

(defstruct A (slot *default*))
(defstruct A (slot 'x))

everything works fine. I've tried a self-compiled version and the
binaries in i386-linux-elf.tar.gz.

Another little thing is that the configure scripts - like
unfortunately most configure scripts - do not recognize a machine
with a i686 processor.

I know that versions of CLISP on your server are beta-releases, so
this mail is not a complaint but a hint ;-)

BTW: Is there a newer binary for Windows95 (grrr - I HAVE to use this
stuff, it's NOT my decision!) available somewhere?

Have fun and continue with your excellent work!

--Matthias

Matthias Lindner
Bayerisches Forschungszentrum fuer Wissensbasierte Systeme (FORWISS)
Am Weichselgarten 7
91058 Erlangen-Tennenlohe
TEL: +49 9131 691-196
FAX: +49 9131 691-185