Re: float ouput

>      sometimes real numbers are output as, say 0.05f0 instead of more usual
>      0.05. Why does this happen?
>      (I do (setq *read-default-float-format* 'double-float
>      *default-float-format* 'double-float *print-case* :downcase))

Because the common lisp printer prints objects in such a way that the
lisp reader can read back the object, obtaining an EQUAL object (if
this is possible).

When *read-default-float-format* is double-float, only double-floats
can be printed without the letter.  All the other float type must
include the letter, as a type information.

This is confused, but hope it helps anyway.  8-)
Pierpaolo.