Re: shell, run-program etc

     A surprising side remark is that
     (close (make-pipe-output-stream "gnuplot script"))
     produces just the desired result (clisp prompt + open plot window)!

Subject: shell, run-program etc
Author:  Sam Shteingold at CCUSA1
Date:    1997-12-03 15:15

     when I type "gnuplot script" at a shell prompt (on winnt4sp3 as well
     as any real OS), I get a plot window and the next shell prompt
     immediately. (so that I can type 'ls' and get the directory listing
     and right click on the gnuplot plot window and print it and whatnot).
     The upshot: under shell, "gnuplot script" returns immediately, as far
     as the shell is concerned.

     When I type (shell "gnuplot script") at the CLISP prompt, I also get
     the plot window immediately, but I do not get the next CLISP prompt
     until I close the plot window.
     The upshot: under CLISP, "gnuplot script" blocks and does not return
     until explicitly terminated.

     This is quite annoying, and I would say that this is a bug, just as a
     way to justify a request for a fix. :-)

     Thanks.
     Sam.