Re: PCL benchmark

Maybe you should describe ERNIE briefly.  What features do you attribute
its speed to?  Is it because it does not do multimethod lookup, or is slot
access somehow inherently faster?  Is it because it was compiled with the
PSL "system-lisp" level of optimization?  We've found that the use of
system-lisp in HP-CL I (a PSL derivative) increased its speed by orders of
magnitude (i.e. in some cases we were looking at much more than 7.5 times
faster than "legal" Common Lisp).