accessing default values in classes

I would like to find out whether there is a defined way of accessing the
default values in classes. The accessors seem to work only with instances
for me.

I probably should point out why I would like to have this feature: I am
currently building a blackboard-based system. This system reasons about
strings of instances of pre-defined classes. Under certain circumstances
(e.g. data input) I need to create an object which matches to the default
value of a certain slot. It seems that I have to create a dummy instance
for each class to be able to access these values ...?

Any enlightenment is appreciated,

Peter N. Saurugger
Molecular Biology Computing Center
UofMinnesota