Re: defconstructor question

    Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 19:04:09 -0500
    From: kanderso@DINO.BBN.COM

    I need to do something like:

    (apply #'make-instance class plist)

    on large classes, with big plists.  Using make-instance this way, is
    extremely slow.  Could defconstructor be used to provide some help
    with this case?

There is a serious performance bug in the current (Rainy Day) version of
PCL.  The effect of this bug is to cause MAKE-INSTANCE to be very slow
unless it is used through its DEFCONSTRUCTOR interface.

I hope to be able to address this bug sometime the week after next.  I
won't be able to get to it until then, if I can get to it then.

If anyone else is interested in tackling it, and wants to hear my
ideas about how to generalize the defconstructor mechanism is to
a much simpler mechanism which can be used to optimize all calls
to make-instance, send me a message.
-------