Recognizing Recursion

I'm assume that "real" programmers can immediately recognize whether a
problem needs to be approached recursively or iteratively. (I also
recognize that after a while the recognition is automatic and so
internalized that it might be hard to verbalize...)

I'm trying to develop that sense of recognition.
I wonder:
   - is it something about the way a problem is stated?
   - something about the way you think about the problem being solved?
   - something about the way a problem solution develops when you try and
solve it iteratively?
   - or what?...

Could you please try and explain how you recognize whether a problem needs
to be approached recursively or iteratively?

thanks
(please also email reply)