First Question

   Date: Fri, 11 May 90 15:16 PDT
   From: Eric Buckman <BUCKMAN@ALAN.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com>

       Date: Fri, 11 May 90 14:30:22 PDT
       From: felix@Warbucks.AI.SRI.COM (Felix Ingrand)

       Is Express Window going to be to CLIM what PCL was to CLOS?

       I must confess I have not installed and used EW yet, but I recall it implement
       Dynamic Window stuff, which itself is the base for the Lisp Machine CLIM
       implementation.

       So it looks like EW and CLIM has some common points.

       Felix

   That's my view.  Originally, EW was written to be a commercial product
   that brought DW type functionality to other platforms.  At about the time they
   were releasing EW for sale, it became apparent the CLIM was for the same
   purpose, but had better industry backing.  So, my guess is that is why they made
   EW public domain (i.e. free).  We are interested in using EW only because it's
   free, and my guess is that when and if we get the funding to buy CLIM, we'd be
   much better off using CLIM, because of all the obvious reasons like support, and
   later generation software.

   eric

right, and the other advantage is that we now have codes which run on
the symbolics which use dynamic windows, and we'd like to be able to
just rcp those to the sun and compile and run them there...I don't
know if ew will really be that good, but we'll see...

monty