Miscellaneous mods to EW

Here are some miscellaneous changes we made to EW.

1. Since only Lispms seem to treat a variable called IGNORE as a special
case (i.e., ignorable, we added the form at the bottom of system.lisp to
suppress the numberous and annoying warnings about "Variable: IGNORE
bound but not referenced.":

	#-lispm
	(proclaim '(special ew::ignore))

The proper way to handle this is probably to go through and put (declare
(ignore ignore)) all over the place.  We decided to take the short cut.

2. We sprinkled (declare (ignore ...)) throughout the code for those
other "bound but not referenced" warnings and commented out unused
bindings.

3. symbols.lisp was shadowing CLEAR-INPUT, but it didn't seem to be
defined anywhere, so we commented it out of the list
EW::*Common-Lisp-Symbols-To-Shadow*.

4. x-interface.lisp changed "#+symbolics cl:pi #-symbolics user::pi" to
just lisp:pi.

5. We got tired of looking at all those undefined function warnings, so,
in system.lisp we changed:

(defun compile-ew ()
  (unless (fboundp 'compile-file-maybe)
    (load (make-pathname :NAME "defsystem" :TYPE "lisp"
			 :DEFAULTS *Default-EW-Code-Pathname*)))
  (dolist (file *Ew-Files*)
    (compile-file-maybe file)
    (load-file-maybe file))
  (dolist (file *Optional-Ew-Files*)
    (compile-file-maybe file)
    (load-file-maybe file)))

(defun compile-ew ()
  (unless (fboundp 'compile-file-maybe)
    (load (make-pathname :NAME "defsystem" :TYPE "lisp"
			 :DEFAULTS *Default-EW-Code-Pathname*)))
  (#+lucid lucid::with-deferred-warnings
    #+symbolics compiler:compiler-warnings-context-bind
    #-(or lucid symbolics) progn
    (dolist (file *Ew-Files*)
      (compile-file-maybe file)
      (load-file-maybe file))
    (dolist (file *Optional-Ew-Files*)
      (compile-file-maybe file)
      (load-file-maybe file))))

6. We also cleaned up the load-ew.lisp and system.lisp pathname stuff.
Nothing important, just local customizations to the pathname
constructions that enhance portability between lispms and non lispms
without all the #+symbolics crap.  If you really, really want to see
this, let me know.

Steve
--
Stephen L. Nicoud  <snicoud@atc.boeing.com>  uw-beaver!bcsaic!snicoud
Boeing Advanced Technology Center for Computer Sciences