Problems Forking Around

I am having problems getting child processes forked from Franz to exit
cleanly.  If I execute a simple forking function, such as

	(defun fork_test ()
       		(prog (pid)
	     	(cond ((setq pid (fork)) (return pid)))
	     	(exit)
	]

from the Franz interpreter, a zombie process is created which doesn't exit
until I exit the interpreter.  The same result holds when fork_test is
called from a compiled Franz daemon which is not associated with a tty.

It's Friday and I'm out of ideas; any you have, even if only speculation,
would be greatly appreciated.

					- Jeff Rininger
					  SRI International