"macsyma on a chip?"

Well, sort of. We now have Macsyma running on a Motorola 68000 - based
system with 6 megabytes of real memory. The operating system is a
Unisoft UNIX system, which has been ported to some large number (>65) boxes.
The Pixel people were kind enough to lend us a machine with enough
real memory to make virtual memory unnecessary.

It takes a long time to load up, but once running, it is quite responsive,
and appears to be about 60% of a VAX 11/780 in terms of CPU time.

We have not shaken down everything, but since the source code is unchanged
from the VAX, we expect the bugs to be limited to lisp compilation
glitches, or differences between versions of the UNIX system.