character I/O

in UNIX is trivially accomplished by typing
stty cbreak
 before entering lisp.
The reader then gets each character as typed.  It means you can't use
normal line/character delete stuff as provided in UNIX unless you program
it yourself in an alternate reader, but that's the point of all this.
(I tried the above on a 4bsd UNIX system; I do not know that 3bsd will
be as nice.  UNIX VAX systems should convert to 4bsd as soon as possible.
We are making tapes now in preparation for the big mailing.)