number crunching

   Sender: moon@cambridge.apple.com
   Date: Mon, 05 Oct 92 16:42:21 EDT
   From: moon@cambridge.apple.com (David A. Moon)

   I think this ought to be regarded as an extension, rather than something that
   is wrong with Dylan and needs to be fixed.  But then, my own opinion is that
   the trig functions in chapter 14, complex numbers, and floating point numbers
   should all be removed from the Dylan language.  Perhaps you and I are actually
   in agreement there; my reasoning is that if one isn't going to do a serious
   implementation of floating-point, one shouldn't do a half-baked job, instead
   one should not even claim to try.

   That's just my own opinion, not Apple's.  But I wonder how other people on
   this list feel.  I know most people who implement Unix C numerics libraries
   don't agree with me at all: from what I've heard they evidently think a
   half-baked job is fine.

I was a bit startled upon seeing the above-mentioned numeric features
in the Dylan spec--my first inclination would be to leave them out
(and I'm a Common Lisp programmer!). What was the rationale for
including them?

Phil Chu
Graduate School, Computer Science
Johns Hopkins University