[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: small integers
- To: Scott_Fahlman@SEF-PMAX.SLISP.CS.CMU.EDU
- Subject: Re: small integers
- From: cfry@MIT.EDU (Christopher Fry)
- Date: Fri, 09 Oct 92 13:23:50 EST
- Cc: "David A. Moon" <moon@CAMBRIDGE.APPLE.COM>, info-dylan@CAMBRIDGE.APPLE.COM
The Lisp machine approach to fixing the efficiency problems by special
architecture failed in the marketplace.
But for this integer problem, there are now 64 bit microprocessors.
If this represents a real trend, then suppose you just consider that
Dylan users that care about speed will have a 64 bit machine and the
"small" integers will be a LOT bigger than the 28 bits or so now common.
This will alleviate at least some of the need for bignums.