Re: Dylan Constants

     From the Dylan reference, there appears to be now way of defining a read
    only constant ala the Common Lisp DEFCONSTANT macro.

The Dylan people at Apple have indicated that this will be fixed.  I don't
know if they've yet settled on a choice of syntax, but I believe the
current plan is that *all* the "define" forms will produce constants, and
some new form will be created for defining non-constant variables.

Clearly the ability to create simple constants, as in

(defconstant pixel-depth 8)

is essential if code is to be both efficient and readable.

-- Scott

Scott E. Fahlman			Internet: sef+@cs.cmu.edu
Senior Research Scientist		Phone:    412 268-2575
School of Computer Science              Fax:      412 681-5739
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213