defobject

I need a defobject that evaluates the first argument.  My goal is to allow
a user to dynamically create objects by typing the object name and the object
parent name in editable text boxes in a dialog.  Defobject does not work
as (setq name (ask *editable-text-dialog-item* dialog-item-text)) followed
by (defobject name parent-object) of course results in an object with
the name "name" instead of what the user typed.  Please advise how I might
accomplish this.
Thanks!
Gary Snavely