traps

I'm looking for some help with using macintosh traps with allegro common
lisp.  In particular I'm having trouble using some of the palette manager
traps.  I'm am able to create a palette with NewPalette but I can't create
one with GetNewPalette.  GetNewPalette simply returns nil.  Also when I use
SetEntryColor it doesn't seem to change the palette.  I am using
ActivatePalette after I change the entry so I don't think that is the
problem.  Does anyone out there ahve any experience with this?  Thanks in
advance.

Allen