copying pixmaps

I am trying to write a program that copy images between the screen and
an offscreen pixmap.  I have successfully created an offscreen world using
the new routines in 32bit quickdraw but I can't seem to make copybits work.
I use the pixmap from the new offscreen world and have verified that it is
a pixmap, and the screens pixmap, the portrect from the screen as both
rectangles, 0 for the copy mode and no mask region.  A call to copybits with
these parameters seems to do nothing.  Any ideas?

Allen