color tables

I didn't get any response from my last note so I will try again.

I am trying to make some offscreen areas that I can save images to, change
the color table and then recover.  The problem seems to be that when I change
the color table it changes the image also.  It seems that copybits doesn't
simply copy the bits but changes each byte to the one representing the closest
match to it's color.  I changed my code so that all the color tables changed
together so that they would all be the same.  This still does not work.

I saw something in Inside Macintosh about protecting colors and invalidating
quickdraw structures.  Could something like this be happening to me?  Is there
a way around it?  Is there any way to copy images and ignore color tables?
Any help would be most appreciated.  Thank you

Allen