Calling usual-menu-item-action

I have some descendants of *menu-item* and they just call a function, and then
usual-menu-action.  My function just opens a modal-dialog which sets a few
values and then is closed by an Ok button.
The call to usual-menu-action causes MACL to "unexpectedly quit".
However, if I switch the two calls, everthing works perfectly.
God knows why I worry about the usual-action since it "does nothing", but I've
been burned by not calling usual in other cases, so I do.
Anyway, does anyone have any clue what could be going on here ?  I KNOW there
is no other menu-item-action, I did a file search and this is the only one.
I've tracked it down by putting in cerror statements before and after each
line, and it IS getting to the cerror before usual-menu-item-action, but
definitely NOT getting to the cerror after usual-menu-item-action.  AND,
swapping the usual-menu-item-action to be first rather than last (of 2) fixes
it, so I don't NEED to know what is wrong, but I sure am curious as hell.

"TANSTAAFL" Rich lynch@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu