My MACL code crashes under finder, runs ok under multifinder

I have a curious circumstance in which my fairly sizeable prototype
(over a hundred fasl files, over 2.5 meg minimum lisp heap size) runs
fine under multifinder, but crashes during loading or shortly thereafter
when started up under finder.  I have run macsbug trap recording and
found the following sequence leading up to the the crash.
_GetPort (a7 points to a "normal" address)
_SetPort (a7 points to run of 5 zero words)
_GetCVariant (a7 points to a long zero)
_StripAddress
_HLock (a0 is same address as stripped in previous trap)
bus error, always at the same location.

Trap recording gives a longer history than this and I see I get to the
sequence given above in different ways, and I'm at a loss as to where
or what to look for next.  MACL does seem to load up and run ok without
my prototype.  I find technical notes referring to points to
be wary of under multifinder, but none the other way.  Has anyone had
any similar experiences or insights into such a situation?  I'm running
MACL 1.3.2 and have experienced this behavior on both cx and fx
Macintoshes.

Thanks,
Cris Johnson
Price Waterhouse Technology Centre