Re: dialog items we all need

   Date: Wed, 6 Mar 91 10:34:59 CST
   From: lynch@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Richard Lynch)
   To: info-macl@cambridge.apple.com
   Subject: Re: dialog items we all need

   1.  Seeing yet another post about scrolling text dialog items has made me
   wonder if we couldn't get together here in this forum, spec out what needs
   to be done to extend MACL X.X.X in terms of dialog-items and low-level
   stuff, and then divvy up the problems so we aren't all re-inventing the
   wheel and copying someone's code to alter it to a special purpose that
   isn't all that special but the first author didn't think of it at the time
   he/she/it wrote the code.
   It would probably be better to have several (groups of) people working on
   any given piece so that if someone can't come through, everyone else is not
   left high and dry.

Good idea.

   2.  Anyone know a QUICK easy way to "invert" an icon the way Finder does?
   It's not a simple inversion of the 32x32 bits.  Is there some sort of
   routine that does edge detection and inverts everything inside the
   outermost border?  Or has an "inverted icon" been provided for each Finder
   icon?

The finder uses "ICN#" (and "ics#") resources.  These contain an ICON
(small icon) and a mask.  The "ICN#" resource is 256 bytes long.  The
first 128 bytes are a 32x32 bit icon, and the second 128 bytes are a
32x32 bit mask.  The "ics#" resource is 64 bytes long.  The first 32
bytes are a 16x16 bit icon, and the second 32 bytes are a 16x16 bit
mask.