application problem

I've made an application with "save-application" and when I run it
windows start to act strange.  When a window is selected I do not see
the horizontal lines in the title area and I do not see the close box.

I can get rid of this problem by switching to another application (via
Multifinder) and then back to the lisp application.

Has anyone else seen this.  If so is there a fix?  Is there a toolbox
call that gets used in switching applications that I could execute
that will kludge what I am doing above?

-thanks, david