platform advice (and war stories) requested

We are trying to decide how to go about spending our (somewhat
limited) funds WRT purchasing a new Mac or two. I have only used MACL
on IIfx and IIci (both with 8MB). I wonder what the communal wisdom is
regarding machines on which large MACL systems can be developed and
run. I am especially interested in comparisons across machines. (In
other words, if you've only ever coded in lisp on a MacPlus and are
happy, that's great - but you may have the patience of a saint...and I
don't :-). On the other extreme, if you've only used a loaded
fx...etc. Is ayone using LCs, SIs, SEs, etc. and with what
additionals?

Anyway, please respond to me directly. And thank you in advance!

-eric
cooper@csli.stanford.edu