newgworld

I'm trying to create an offscreen drawing environment from Lisp.  I've
been trying to use #_newgworld but no matter how I call it it doesn't
seem to work.  The arguments are a VAR grafptr, an integer (pixel depth),
a bounding rect, a ctable, a device ptr, and a gworldflags byte.  I am
almost positive that I am using the arguments correctly but I get a -50
(incorrect arguments), or the machine freezes.  I have used newgworld
successfully from C.  Is this possibly a Lisp problem?

Allen