bkPixPat

   From: lynch@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Richard Lynch)
   Sub:    Re: BackPixPat
   To: bill@cambridge.apple.com

   >(defmethod window-update-event-handler :around ((w back-pattern-window))
   >  (let ((wptr (wptr w))
   >        (erase-region (window-erase-region w)))
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

   Thanks.  It worked great except I had an infinite error loop 'cuz I wasn't
   in package :ccl so window-erase-region was undefined.  You may want to put
   in ccl::window-erase-region and re-post it.  (Your discretion.)

Sorry 'bout that.  Are you listening INFO-MCLers?

   Now, though, the with-back-color patch seems to be not working.  Are
   backColor and backPixPat mutually exclusive?  [Can you tell I'm not too
   good at maintaining a cohesive view of the Mac redraw scheme?]

   The text on top of the pixPat just doesn't stand out enough without its own
   background.  I could work up a sample file if you need it.

If I understand you correctly, you want your bkPixPat pattern to fill the
window except where you're drawing a STATIC-TEXT-DIALOG-ITEM, which you
want to be surrounded by a rectangle in the bkColor.  The bkColor merely
changes the color of white pixels (and the fgColor changes the color of
black pixels).  To do what you want, you'll have to define something like
WITH-BACK-PIXPAT which you can use to set the background PixPat to an all
white pattern during the drawing of your STATIC-TEXT-DIALOG-ITEMs.

   "TANSTAAFL" Rich lynch@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu

BTW, what does "TANSTAAFL" mean?