Re: Request for info on patches to MCL 2.0

In article <1991Jul16.084316.12859@src.dec.com> meehan@src.dec.com (Jim Meehan) writes:
>[Welcome to comp.lang.lisp.mcl!]
>
>Would someone at Apple remind those of us who bought version 2 what
>the latest beta-release is, and how to obtain the patches?  My kit
>came with 2.0B1, but I think it's up to B3 by now.  Thanks.

MCL 2.0b1, which is available through APDA, is the latest version of
Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0 in general release. We have released two patches
to this version (the first patch release was actually a combination of
two patch files, so the most up-to-date version is called MCL 2.0b1p3).
Below are the announcements I sent out when we released these patches:

The first patches to Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0b1 are now available. You can
anonymously ftp them from cambridge.apple.com. Logon to this host as
anonymous, then type anything for a password.

The file you need is:

	/pub/MCL2/patches/MCL2.0 p1&2.sit.hqx

You will need to:

	cd /pub/MCL2/patches
then
	get "MCL2.0 p1&2.sit.hqx"

Note that the filename includes spaces - you will probably need to surround
it with quotation marks (as above).

This file is a BinHexed StuffIt archive of a folder. After ftping it to
your Macintosh, use StuffIt or UnStuffIt first to decode the BinHex, then
to extract the patches folder from the archive file. Within the folder you
will find a file called "MCL 2.0b1 P1 & 2 Release Notes" which contains
instructions for applying the patches along with other information.

Now that MCL 2.0b1 is shipping, it is particularly important that bug reports
include the version number (2.0b1, 2.0b1p2, 1.3.2) of your Lisp.

If this method of patch distribution is absolutely impossible for you (if
you don't have any way to get into an UnStuffIt archive file, for example)
please let me know and we'll explore other options.

Thanks for using our Lisp. Let us know if you have any problems.

Mark Preece
mark@cambridge.apple.com

A third patch to Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0b1 is now available. You can
anonymously ftp them from cambridge.apple.com. Logon to this host as
anonymous, then type anything for a password.

The file is:

        /pub/MCL2/patches/MCL 2.0b1 Patch 3.sit.hqx

You will need to:

	cd /pub/MCL2/patches
then
	get "MCL 2.0b1 Patch 3.sit.hqx"

This file is a BinHexed StuffIt archive of a folder. After ftping it to
your Macintosh, use StuffIt or UnStuffIt first to decode the BinHex, then
to extract the patches folder from the archive file. This folder contains
Release Notes along with the patch file. Please note that you must apply
the first two patches to MCL 2.0b1 before applying the third.

Thanks for using our Lisp. Please let me know if you have any problems
downloading or installing the patch.

Mark Preece
mark@cambridge.apple.com